Skip to main content

Study in Blue

 Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 30
Study in Blue
 

 Today my brain tells me the air carries the smell of acorns. I do not think I actually know what acorns smell like so this makes me temporarily confused. I settle for the fact that it smells green in some way on this rainy morning where the clocks have recently changed.

ALT TEXT tells me it thinks this week’s photo is, ‘a close up of a ring on the ground’. But really it is the most recent of my #ElasticBandPhotos and I call it ‘Study in Blue’ (A discarded elastic band on the ground is twisted in rounds and there are blue stones in the pavement.)

 

The photo was taken during my recent trip to Herne Bay. I wanted to be able to share elevenses with my mum on her birthday and share family time. There was time to do some good catching up while I was there and lovely walks by the sea too. It always amazes me how much can be packed into a couple of days. There was laughter with the nieces and nephews, a sisters plan to watch the sunrise on Snowdon, a shadow photo, ice-cream, tea with good friends.

 

I have a satnav, but I still asked Kath to write the roads down for me because it felt like a long time since I went down. I remember times in my past on different journeys where I have missed exits, but it is not something that has happened to me recently. The most vivid memory was when I nearly drove the wrong way through traffic lights and then found myself on the edge of London instead of on the correct road to Guildford! When I rang my dad he could tell me exactly where I was and what I would see when I kept driving. He then came to meet me so I could follow him the rest of the way. This seemed like a magical ability of his to me. Both he and Kath can talk in roads whereas I find this quite difficult. My brain has to do a lot of talking to itself to when I see M1 north and M1 south as choices because I need to remember which way I am going! I am pleased to report, I do know the way and can trust the satnav. Very grateful to have a kind and patient wife too though!

 

I have a year to get my legs Snowdon ready which will be really good motivation for my walking. I will treat myself to a new pair of walking socks nearer the time, and will enjoy wearing out my old ones for the time being.

 

As I write this it is April Fools Day and it feels like the right time to confess that I was fooled for one of my elastic band photos. Reader, a hairband crept into the book ‘Vortex Over Wave’! I have two pairs of glasses now, but when I took the photo on The Great Orme some months ago my eyes were tricked. It took me until recently when I was flicking through the book again to see it, and I thought I should acknowledge it.

 

I enjoyed recording ‘Unwanted Rabbits’ as my new poem for the month on my YouTube Channel and I loved making sure that it sounds like it sounds in my head when I get it ready for sharing. I wasn’t a ‘one take Sue’ for this one and had to make sure I had a pint of water on hand to get hydrated before I could set it down! I do have one more rabbit poem that is looking for a home so I do hope to be able to share that in the not too distant future when it has found its place in the world.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo