Skip to main content

Crusts

There was a day when I was younger when I was going to have a new bed. The day before bed delivery day I knew I had to tackle what was under my bed, but somehow I got distracted and forgot....

Answering My Mother (Audio)


ANSWERING MY MOTHER

I had meant to move them,
remembered that I needed to move them.
Then the day distracted me
and bedtime was just for sleeping
and a new day was coming down for breakfast
and putting the television on.
Not even when she went upstairs that morning
did I think of it again.
Until she shouted, I had totally forgotten.
We could have had mice.
Then my forgetful mind made my heart sink.
The cry worsened;
Rats! We could have had rats.
The four flights of stairs between us
only gave me time to swallow
and stare.
I had meant to move them.
I had planned to wrap them in newspaper,
like chips,
take the package quietly to the backyard,
unclip the dustbin lid,
lay it inside.
Rats! We could have had rats.
If you didn’t want to eat them, that’s OK.
You didn’t need to hide them under there.
For months I had been pushing
Sunday crusts under the bed.
Too dry. Too dark.
I only liked soft buttered marmalade bites.
I ate to the edge;
felt ungrateful not being able to eat the rest
so I slid them under the bed.
If I had put them in my bin
she would have known my ingratitude,
They’re mouldy. The carpet’s mouldy.
The bed men are coming and we’ve got mould.
We could have had rats.
Why didn’t you just bring them downstairs?
My answer wouldn’t come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY YEAR IN REVIEW (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 114)

 MY YEAR IN REVIEW   Listening Link This morning it is raining and the almost unchilled air carries strong hints of green.   Alt text says this week’s photo is a collage of a group of people. It is indeed a collage and it is made from the photos that accompanied each blog post this year. I do like to take a look back before I look forward and I thought this would be one way of doing it for 2025.   When I was little I loved an annual. To me it was a book of delightful snippets collected together to be enjoyed in a period of time that involved a break from routine. I can picture myself reading in my pyjamas, the seemingly bottomless sweet tin, and the advent calendar that left its glitter on our fingers with all its doors open telling me that it was indeed Christmas Day. This week’s photo is like the cover of my 2025 annual.   This blog has been my way of building a good relationship with Mondays, and the fact there have been 114 episodes since Sept...

LIFTED (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 108)

LIFTED Listening Link  This morning, the cool air brings the smell of hash browns as the traffic builds its familiar rush.   Alt text offers no suggestion for this week’s photo. I say it is my sister, me and my mum in the lift after coffee and before a little shopping spree. I love this moment in time from our lovely, shared day, and the fact I remembered to take a photo.   This week I learned that I am a competent pumpkin carver. Good company, a simple design idea, a whiteboard marker pen and a last-minute pumpkin purchase resulted in a Trick or Treat worthy exhibit which made me smile.   It has been like adopting a mini half-term this week... catching up with a good friend, time with family, carving that pumpkin, having a toffee apple, going to a big firework display, landing on the settee of lovely people and having a photograph taken... and perhaps there will always be echoes of school holidays even though I no longer have these as ...

SLOW DOWN (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 130)

SLOW DOWN PodBean Listening Link    This morning the air is filled with the scent of grass and the sound of birdsong. A blue sky is welcoming the day, and promising warmth soon.   Alt text tells me this week’s photo is a road with words painted on it. It is indeed and it is a photo of what I call the country road where the words SLOW/ARAF are painted. I walked to this area yesterday to take a photo for today’s blog, but the words were very faded so I am using a photo which I think I took during my lockdown walks. Slow is a timely reminder for me right now.   Having talked recently about how important it is to balance self-care and to notice what you need, it almost surprised me that I wasn’t listening to myself. (I say ‘almost’ because I definitely heard the whisper of, you need a couple of early nights ! And instead of acknowledging the whisper I chose to ignore it. So my thinking went a bit like this... Feeling a bit more tired than usual?...