Skip to main content

Driving to Work 2020

I had a brief experiment with the morning tweet before March 2020 Lockdown. Doing this definitely helped me to have a focus in the Autumn that followed...

Monday 14th  December 2020: The sky winks a star, says there were meteors last night.

Thursday 10th December 2020: I let the sky orange its purple blanket without really noticing.

Wednesday 9th December 2020: Winter bleached air, curved moon in a blue sky surrounded by stars that I swear are singing.

Tuesday 8th December 2020: A sideways glance from a Santa in an upstairs window as the moon looks on through thin puffed cloud. Gentle rattled greetings from the magpie nest.

Monday 7th December 2020: The orange light of street lamps shows the fog as cloud. Brake lights pierce it. Then half a moon behind a skim of cloud as magpies chatter.

Friday 4th December 2020: The day feels freshly washed and the moon says waxing follows waning and the sky shows its blue.

Thursday 3rd December 2020: Just rain from an inked black sky that slowly, slowly lightens to purple.

Wednesday 2nd December 2020: The early chatter of magpies under a heavy weighted sky.

Tuesday 1st December 2020: A haloed moon stays low in the sky. The ground is frosted. A light blue sky is conjured and streaked with orange and hope.

Monday 30th November 2020: Full moon day. November ends with slow rain falling from purpled sky.

Friday 27th November 2020: The gulls are waking the sky gently this morning lifting purple into blue.

Wednesday 25th November 2020: Rain slows the lightening. A welcome chorus of gulls as the sun begins to push through and the rain now slows.

Tuesday 24th November 2020: The dark was purpling. Interrupted by orange like the flickering embers on a burning log. A surprising streak of yellow that bears a second glimpse. All gone now as arterial branches reach for a clouded sky.

Monday 23rd November 2020: Cold air freshened my lungs as wide orange striped the sky.

Friday 20th November 2020: Bare branches reach up against an expanse of deep blue in silence waiting.

Thursday 19th November 2020: The wind sounds and birds silently silhouette this morning as the water blows from the painters brush and touches of purple are added to the grey.

Wednesday 18th November 2020: This morning’s sky was painted by a water colourist experimenting with grey.

Tuesday 17th November 2020: Seven geese against a heavy sky.        

Monday 16th November 2020: A swirl of silent gulls circled. One blackbird sounded an alarm call and slowly grey became lilac and orange on blue.

Friday 13th November 2020: A quiet message from one gull. That slice of moon. And one celebratory ‘v’ of geese.       

Thursday 12th November 2020: A chorus of herring gulls laugh as I leave the house. Four more silhouette silently under the moon as I stand under a slice of moon at the petrol pump. Six geese rise above me on the bridge and six more fly low as I continue.

Wednesday 11th November 2020: A seam of rich orange lavendered the sky.

Tuesday 10th November 2020: Clouds define themselves and offer blue beneath for hope and a small glimpse of orange.

Monday 9th November 2020: This morning’s sky was made from bonfire smoke and cloud. Gulls scattered across it searching.

Friday 6th November 2020: The geese were on a different flight path this morning. Or perhaps I saw different geese!

Thursday 5th November 2020: Sherbet orange splits the sky and paints it purple. No geese.

Wednesday 4th November 2020: Two loose ‘U’s of geese flying way up high today flanked by a small v.

Tuesday 3rd November 2020: Yesterday the geese flew on fast forward, today two sets of six in a low, slow take off fly over.

Monday 26th October 2020: The birds sang to me as the recycling went up the path and the day is my own.

21st October 2020: Yesterday the air smelt of doughnuts so I am looking forward to investigating today’s scent.

Monday 19th October 2020: Only the shyest of sunrises this morning.

Thursday 15th October 2020: The moon was slung low and the sky gifted me purple and orange for this morning’s drive.

Friday 9th October 2020: Today’s work journey was accompanied by Belinda Carlisle and a shy sunrise.

Friday 2nd October 2020: An early morning game of hide and seek with a wasp.

Wednesday 30th September 2020: Last sunrise of September was a band of orange pushing up the grey cloud here this morning.             

Friday 18th September 2020: This week has seemed like an assault course (I am not built for all that over and under and big leaping) but now I see a Friday sky and a wood pigeon is greeting it.

Tuesday 15th September 2020: Morning. And the moon was so orange I could taste it as it rose.

Friday 11th September 2020: These are the mornings when magpies and crows play ‘Chicken’ on the roads and pigeons fly low.

Tuesday 8th September 2020: Today the sky is heron-grey.

Monday 7th September 2020: I do like Autumn sunrises!

Tuesday 31st March 2020: Beautiful birdsong this morning.

Friday 14th February 2020: Orange and pink sunrises and a Rupert scarf.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo