Skip to main content

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 06/11/2023 (10)

Singing as the darkness lifts 06/11/2023

    This morning the air does not have a hint of fireworks or bonfire smoke and this surprises me. Instead I sense the faint smell of gentle cold which contrasts with the element of incense as I move from the outside in. The moon is beautifully bright and the red light of an aeroplane flashes in contrast to its pure white. I am slow and methodical in my movements this morning taking in the width of new day.

    Yesterday I met with my editor to finish going through each of the poems in my new collection. It has been good to revisit each one in turn and to hear myself read my work out loud and then note how it feels when they land for a listener. There has been an element of careful viewing from different angles as we have worked together and I am looking forward to sitting with the whole of the book for final tweaking.

    On Tuesday I was the invited host for Top Tweet Tuesday and I spent the day immersed in over fifty poems from the TTT community. The range of poems delighted me and it was a privilege to be a reader and responder to the work being shared and showcased.

    I also decided to face my dislike of having my photo taken. (I am definitely seizing the moments and using my coaching on myself and it feels good.) I used some of the photos from Tuesday and one from my recent reading and put them on to social media to give myself a big nudge towards taking action. There were plenty of comments to spur me on and I loved the way people engaged and the wonderful thread of humour through this too. This ticked all the boxes for me and thanks to my lovely wife I now have a new photo in a style which suits what I wanted. It took ten minutes from moving the table and setting myself up to having a photo which made me smile. Sometimes I like to time the things that I have been procrastinating about just to see how long they actually take. Of course there was ‘mindset time’ in the days leading up to this, but I am still pretty impressed.

    My coaching journey is exciting me and feels more and more real as I progress through the taught element and move to thinking about working with more people. I love working with people one-to-one. I was thinking about the why of this and what it is apart from feeling the privilege of working with someone, and there is a definite bonus to me in the silent work that I engage with before a session followed by the wonderful intensity of being present in the session and then the quiet reflection time that lands afterwards. This suits me well.

    There was a call out on social media last night for a piece of writing that was exactly 150 words long. I wanted to engage with it because it was a ‘what can you share in the next couple of hours?’ kind of call and sometimes I really like that speed element. At first, I hadn’t read the post properly and I shared a poem from my forthcoming collection that had newly impressed me in the day, but then I actually read the 150 word part and took it down. Instead I found a poem that I have always enjoyed which has never felt finished and I finished it! It feels complete now, see what you think...

 

THE STARS ARE CLAYS

 

Because I didn’t listen in science

or had forgotten that stars were big balls of gas,

I told you that under a silenced moon

an unnamed god had taken aim

then fired.

 

I told you that they followed

each upward trajectory

after hearing someone’s cry

of Pull.

 

I said, the stars are clays

held by the galaxy,

to pattern the darkness

for you and me.

They have been shot

into smithereens

and are shining there now for us.

 

Even though I knew the sun was a star,

that the shine had something

to do with immense pressure

changing hydrogen to helium,

even though I could have told you

that there were hundreds of billions of them out there

I didn’t.

 

All I was actually sure of was that

I needed to stand in the darkness

with you.

 

Will you lift your eyes and look with me?

 

***********************************************

One photo comes from the sharing of four

Sue sits with writing journal and pen and smiles for the camera in front of a vivid orange and yellow finger painting that she created some years ago. She is wearing her 'stunt girl' t-shirt.

 
Sue is rumbled eating the trick or treat sweets, caught putting a heart in a jar, writing at her desk, looking very serious while reading poems.

 

(As a quick aside... I shouldn't have told the person who asked what my stunts were in October that I unicycle while eating fire, because that was in fact a big fib and we were both momentarily disappointed!)
 

Here’s to the continued singing as the darkness lifts.

Click here to acess the podcast version of this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo