Skip to main content

Show Time!

Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 34

Show Time!

PodBean Link for those who like to listen.


This morning the air smells of yellow-flowered Spring. The moon has been full this week and I went out to walk under it in the middle of the week, but somehow missed its rising. It felt good though to be remembering the joy of walking under a full moon and all those moons I stood under and wrote poems for in 2022.

 

Alt text says this week’s photo is “a red scarf in the air”. I say it is Petulia, a shawl designed by my wonderful wife that we took for a fly before travelling to Wonderwool Wales to exhibit it as one of her designs. I also say it looks as though it is dancing freely against a bright blue sky.

 

There’s something exciting about greeting each other with “Show Time!” at a yarn show as the gates open and the customers stream in. So much has to happen before then... pack the cars to the brim, travel, unload, set up, flop into bed, tweak the dispay the next day...and then we are ready for the show to begin.

 

There is real joy in talking to people for whole days at a time, that I don’t think I had ever really considered before becoming involved in yarn shows. So many different conversations can happen because there are so many different people, and I am there for them all. This time I only had two yarn related questions that stumped me so I must have learned quite a bit along the way. There were also lovely conversations with people about poetry and I met a lovely person called Ali who made my day with her interest in my writing. I also thoroughly enjoyed talking about ‘Gnarly Roots’, the new cowl pattern that Kath has designed, and my modelling of the forthcoming ‘Sugar Loaf’ cardigan. Show Time was Good Time.

 

There has been much joy in written words this week too: I received a wonderful compliment about my new book, a great testimonial for my coaching, and a super thank you for some writing I had done. These are all nicely balancing in the world.

 

There has also been the thinking out loud of supervision as part of my coaching work. There is much to reflect on when developing a new skill and I love the kind of deep learning that comes by being part of a supervision group.  It is good to do thinking from different angles, and I also revisited Brené Brown’s work this week and remembered the power of “the story I am telling myself is”. This can be really helpful to me when I start to feel myself overthinking.

 

So all in all, this whole week has felt new because I have done many things that I did not imagine that I would be doing a year ago. I knew I would be doing something different, but there was only a hazy view beyond the vivid need to pause what I had been doing for years. And perhaps foggy is a better word. It felt good to be pressing the stop button and changing direction, but definitely scary too. So here’s to formulating plans and trusting in the vision and taking those steady steps along different paths. The view is good and it feels rather like walking a coastline because there’s something different around each corner. Fond memories here of Guernsey walks where being on the edge is freeing and the view changes and delights along the way.

 

It seems apt to select a poem from my ’14 Lines’ project from my MA at this point. It’s called ‘Fermain Bay’, and my lovely friend Julie read this for me at the actual spot and sent me the video. The purpose of the project was for me to develop my confidence in sharing my poems and to compare my readings with those of wonderful people who supported me in this. It was a good project and when I read my new poems in real life to launch ‘Welcome to the Museum of a Life’ I will take a moment to remember just how far I have come with determination and excellent cheering on from lovely people.

 

Later today I will be at a different coast and will see the sea at Llandudno, but first here’s the poem:

 

Fermain Bay

 

Layered in the water among the blues,

mixed with dense pine green,

there is a deeper turquoise

than we even wished for.

Streaked with the purple of pansies

it tempts us from the cliff top path –

says, paint me.

But first we must go and float and swim there.

 

Our land-life is made real as, sun warmed,

we sit on the stone wall to dry.

Salt has painted our lips,

hairs are tightening on our arms,

and time is marked only

by the rhythm of waves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo