Skip to main content

Reflections (Episode 47)

Reflections (47)

PodBean Link for those who like to listen


This morning the air in someone else’s town smells cool and fresh. Last night it smelt hot and sulphurous, and I admire the way the night has washed it clean.

Alt text tells me this week’s photo is, a stuffed animal in a mirror. I say it is the perfect picture of Ronnie looking at himself in a mirror to accompany this week’s blog post about reflection.

This past week I have been in and out of a reflective essay as I work towards completing the ‘ILM Level 7 Diploma for Executive and Senior Level Coaches’. I have learned not to wash the windows, clean the car or hoover to distract myself from setting down words in the right order. I have also learned to read (really read) the criteria. This has been huge for me because I have a tendency to skim read and think I know what I need to do. I then go off and write merrily and create a meandering stream that feels fun to write before I realise that this wasn’t what the criteria wanted me to do. I now make things easier for myself and the marker. It has taken a lot of time to get to this point in my academic writing.

Reflection is something that I enjoy finding time for...

During my teacher training we kept a weekly reflective log which included the following two questions: ‘What did the children do?’ ‘What did they learn?’ There was a lot to reflect on in these questions alone and it helped us to be purposeful about planning our teaching and learning in the widest sense. I loved writing up my thoughts each week and making progress in my own development as a result. In fact I loved keeping the log so much that my friends and I took a very large section of a tree from the local park to our tutor at the end of our time working together in celebration of ‘the log’.

When I was studying for my NPQH (National Professional Qualification for Headship) I loved the posh journal they gave us at the start of the course to record our reflections in. Again I remember being one of those in the cohort who relished writing reflectively. Interestingly I tried to record my thoughts neatly in that journal because I thought it was going to become a reference log. I recycled it a while ago and had a read through before I said goodbye to it. It was reflection in the moment, valuable for what it taught me and what I carried with me, but definitely not a reference book.

So, thinking reflectively has always featured in the careers I have chosen, and now it gets to be a key part of what I do. It shines with relevance and excitement for me as I strive to be the best I can be.

On Saturday morning I woke up with an extra sentence for my essay floating around in my head. Perhaps I had been thinking while I was asleep or perhaps I had rested well and a thought had floated its way to the top of my brain. This amused me and I marvelled at the fact that there was one more thought that I wanted to put in my essay.

Talking with a friend this week it was good to hear that they found my summaries of what brought me to coaching interesting and readable. This was my way of explaining the benefits of coaching and how I found myself choosing a new career. Coaching still strikes me as one of those things that has a mystery to it until it has been experienced, and then it sparkles with potential. I love helping people regain their clarity and I love thinking with people.

The conversation with my friend took place while they were out for a walk and I was inspired afterwards to complete the country walk from my door here. We had talked about making good habits easy by having your walking shoes ready by the door. I like this and realised that I hadn’t had a long walk since my ‘really long walk’ with my sister. I set out and because I was feeling happy from having enjoyed a good conversation I did nothing except focus on the walk. It was sunny and the air was herby which felt good. It felt like the kind of walk you have on a holiday when cares are far away.

My sister says I am good at walking her home on the phone at the end of her working day. I love that she loves this. I am also glad she likes me to walk her home and not to work because her walking journey starts at 4:30. I will let her cat do that bit and enjoy keeping her company when she is readying to relax. 

(If you saw the most recent Pet Shop Boys video you will have noticed that Ronnie was jumping for joy in the place that this was recorded thanks to my sister taking us both there on our special walk.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (Episode 11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023 PETRICHOR   Me and my brother on a farm holiday when we were little and me and my brother at Bletchley Park more recently.   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting

'Sisters at the Snooker' (Episode 24)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo

Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? (Episode 39)

  Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 39 Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? PodBean Link for those who like to listen   This morning the smell of cut grass is in the air, slightly hayed by yesterday’s sunshine and today’s gentle misty drizzle.   This week’s photo had to be ‘Ronnie Jumping for Joy at The Great Orme’. Not just because I love that orme, not just because it is the picture for June on the #LookThere calendar, but because of the alt text suggestion I got when I was preparing to share it on social media to welcome in the new month. This alt text has to be one of my absolute favourites... “May be an image of puffin and vulture.” It made me laugh each time I thought of it and wondered which one of those Ronnie was! In this Word document alt text says it’s a stuffed animal in the air, which makes me love the alternative version that appeared the other day even more.   I love to find humour in things. I find it motivational and