Skip to main content

Onion Rings and Other Joyful Things (Episode 53)

 

Onion Rings and Other Joyful Things 53

PodBean Link for those who like to listen

 

 

This morning the wind stirs the leaves on the trees into an unsyncopated crisp rustle. The swirled air brings a cocktail of green scents. Two magpies hop and tap dance in the road before lifting their fans and becoming five.

 

Alt text says this week’s photo is a picture of a person holding up two rings. I say it is my sister holding up two massive onion rings. I also say that one day I will focus when I take the photo and make sure both her eyes are framed.

 

A year ago my sister had recently been to visit, and I was starting a new career journey. Today my sister has recently been to visit, and I am starting the qualified and accredited part of my new career journey. These are beautiful echoes as the new academic year establishes itself.

 

Last year I had a black coffee when we stopped for coffee on our shopping trip and this year (having learned the art and joy of going out for drinks in coffee shops) I had an oat milk cappuccino. Both drinks made my head spin as I mostly drink water or minty tea after my first cup of tea of the day. I am amused by how long it took me to understand the joy of going out for drinks or pausing on a day out for some refreshment. For years I thought it was something I didn’t enjoy/didn’t need to indulge in and now I get it.

 

So what else have I learned/what else am I celebrating from the past year of new paths. Here’s ten things:

 

1.    I still don’t really love onion rings, but I love it when my sister has them.

2.    The ‘JOY’ letters get repainted and moved and whatever colour they are and wherever they are they are always fun to be photographed in.

3.    The circus still amuses and entertains me.

4.    I am really proud of my training to be a coach.

5.    I still think of September as the beginning of a new year.

6.    I still know that January is also the beginning of a new year.

7.    Every day offers the chance of a new beginning.

8.    Testimonials make me glow with pride and joy.

9.    That spending time working in my stretch zone leads to good things.

10. That I can always be relied upon to have hand wipes and hand gel.

 

Seasons are important to me and it feels good to share the following poem in September to mark the start of Autumn. I have shared it before, but to me it stands the test of time. It was originally drafted during a workshop with Caroline Bird in September 2021, and was published by Ink, Sweat and Tears a month later in celebration of National Poetry Day when the theme was ‘Choice’. I can’t wait to tell you about another poem of mine (a prose poem) that I wrote two years ago which will be published soon, but for now here’s my ten line autumnal poem:

 

This Was Once a Good Poem

 

but it has eaten cheese and pickle rolls for a week now

and it can’t work out why the vitamins aren’t working.

It rocks in the chair until its eyes are too tired to see

and has scared itself with thoughts of Autumn spiders

under glasses in the hallway.

It is wondering if it is true that conkers in corners

keep arachnids at bay

and is now standing in the dark

sniffing last year’s horse chestnuts

desperate to find their scent.

 

 

Thank you for listening. Here’s to onion rings and other joyful things. (Feel free to share your onion ring photos if it pleases you.)


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (Episode 11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023 PETRICHOR   Me and my brother on a farm holiday when we were little and me and my brother at Bletchley Park more recently.   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting

'Sisters at the Snooker' (Episode 24)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo

Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? (Episode 39)

  Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 39 Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? PodBean Link for those who like to listen   This morning the smell of cut grass is in the air, slightly hayed by yesterday’s sunshine and today’s gentle misty drizzle.   This week’s photo had to be ‘Ronnie Jumping for Joy at The Great Orme’. Not just because I love that orme, not just because it is the picture for June on the #LookThere calendar, but because of the alt text suggestion I got when I was preparing to share it on social media to welcome in the new month. This alt text has to be one of my absolute favourites... “May be an image of puffin and vulture.” It made me laugh each time I thought of it and wondered which one of those Ronnie was! In this Word document alt text says it’s a stuffed animal in the air, which makes me love the alternative version that appeared the other day even more.   I love to find humour in things. I find it motivational and