Skip to main content

A GROUP OF FRUIT STACKED ON A GAME BOARD (Episode 58)

  A GROUP OF FRUIT STACKED ON A GAME BOARD

PodBean Link for those who like to listen.

This morning the air surrounds me with the scent of a newly cooled fridge. There is a cleanness there that matches the sparkle of the three stars I can see in the sky.

 

Alt text says this week’s picture is: a group of fruit stacked on top of a game board. I doff my cap to that. I say it is indeed the Ludo board with three apples in a totem pole arrangement. At the bottom is ‘Cox’s Orange Pippin of the Year’ (My mum bought us the tree and I like to select the best apple of the harvest and celebrate that one first) next is a pretend red apple and on the top is a blue ‘apple for my mum’.

 

On Saturday I sang in the car park in town. Not just a snippet of a song as I parked the car. Not part of a line while getting a ticket from the machine. Real singing. I sang in a marquee, as part of a choir.

 

I love the fact that rehearsals have led to this. That weekly repeated actions over time have led to being able to be part of a performance. It has been good to learn the words to songs that I have been enjoying for years as well as learning to sing songs that were brand new to me. I still couldn’t do it without the words, and I definitely need the choir director to make sure I come in on time and stay in time, but I am good enough to perform.

 

I love it all, but my heart absolutely delights in those parts where the more accomplished singers put in the bits that make the back of my neck tingle. I admire this, and I love being next to it and fully in the presence of it. Coming in again when they have sung their parts has me feeling as though I am using my voice to celebrate their skill, as well as mark the way everyone’s voice adds to the layers.

 

It was wonderful to have good wishes from friends and family for the event. I wouldn’t have imagined a year ago that I would be performing at the town music festival, and I don’t think they would have thought it either. Standing in the choir is now one of my happy places.

 

I really enjoyed writing my post about silence and it feels almost complementary to now be writing one which includes singing. Although this could take me off on a tangent about how sometimes I walk to the rhythm of a song that I haven’t heard for years because I can suddenly hear it in my head or that seemingly silent thoughts have a sound of their own!

 

Words are important to me in all areas of my life. For poems, for coaching, for thinking, for thanking. A poem of mine was highly commended in The Gloucester Poetry Society competition yesterday and I love the feeling of someone liking the way lines have been set down.

 

Staying with words not being silent... I love the way when people read their poetry I receive the words almost as if I am hearing them and reading them at the same time. At a poetry reading this week I was reminded of this and of how wonderful it is when a poet reads their words and certain lines echo in your head long after they have stopped reading. The reading was a celebration of the launch of Kate Jenkinson’s new book, ‘Unbroken’ and I loved hearing the humanness of her poems as well as wonderful sets from the supporting poets. A full set from Jason Conway introduced me to more of his work which I really appreciated and it was good to hear Suzy Aspell for the first time. Cathy Carson’s sharing of ‘Jammie Dodgers’ had me fondly recalling the first time I heard it and I was, as always, beautifully emotionally awoken by her entire set. It’s good to be immersed in the sharing of words. When a poem resonates with me I feel the glow of awe and wonder and it makes me glad to be human.

 

There was visual awe this week when we got to see the Northern Lights for the first time ever. I am grateful to my friends on social media for posting their sitings which then led to me propelling myself off the settee to find out what I could see. In fact I thumbed a lift from Kath who was returning in the car at just after nine because I thought we would see something spectacular down the country roads. We saw a glorious segment of moon rising in the sky, but no lights. Luckily I decided I needed to check again from our back doorstep before we went to bed and we were fortunate enough to see the lights there. They were quite muted where we live, but definitely lighting the sky with a wonderful shade of red and a green hue. I haven’t written a poem to go with the moment yet, but I reckon there is one brewing. In the meantime I will leave you with ‘An Apple for My Mum’ from Gallery 4 – A Gallery of Dreams in my collection Welcome to the Museum of a Life...

 

AN APPLE FOR MY MUM

 

I need to tell you exactly what colour it was.

Did you ever suck an American boiled sweet –

a blue one –

slip it out of your mouth

hold it to the sun to admire it

before sliding its smoothness back in

and licking the wet sugar coating from

the pads of your thumb and index finger?

It was nearly that blue.

 

And did you have that gel toothpaste

so bright you squeezed it the full length

of your brush’s bristles

even though you knew the tube

said ‘pea-sized’?

The kind that had you wondering how blue

made teeth white?

It was almost that kind of blue.

And it shone

like the first strokes from a bottle of nail polish

labelled ‘electric blue’.

 

And there it was

hanging from the branch of a tree

within reach

and no one had picked it.

 

So, I got it for her, that bluest of apples,

and all the way to her house

excitement held my stomach captive

as I imagined her biting into it

or wanting to put it on display

for the whole world to see.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (Episode 11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023 PETRICHOR   Me and my brother on a farm holiday when we were little and me and my brother at Bletchley Park more recently.   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting

'Sisters at the Snooker' (Episode 24)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo

Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? (Episode 39)

  Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 39 Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? PodBean Link for those who like to listen   This morning the smell of cut grass is in the air, slightly hayed by yesterday’s sunshine and today’s gentle misty drizzle.   This week’s photo had to be ‘Ronnie Jumping for Joy at The Great Orme’. Not just because I love that orme, not just because it is the picture for June on the #LookThere calendar, but because of the alt text suggestion I got when I was preparing to share it on social media to welcome in the new month. This alt text has to be one of my absolute favourites... “May be an image of puffin and vulture.” It made me laugh each time I thought of it and wondered which one of those Ronnie was! In this Word document alt text says it’s a stuffed animal in the air, which makes me love the alternative version that appeared the other day even more.   I love to find humour in things. I find it motivational and