Skip to main content

TRAWLING ON A DAY'S LEAVE, 1943

This poem found its home on the Places of Poetry website in June 2019. I loved pinning it at Reculver to give it its own place in the world.

And I received this feedback:
"Day 9 poem of the day. Some excellent poems pinned today (thanks!), including a few moving pieces engaging with military heritage: from an ancient history of warfare evoked by the walls of Colchester, through to World War II. I particularly like this piece, pinned to the coastal village of Reculver, Kent, which juxtaposes the everyday labours of fishermen with the brutal, dehumanizing reality of death at sea."

Oral history links below.





TRAWLING ON A DAY'S LEAVE, 1943 

Too waterlogged to haul over the side
even for the strong arms
of you and your father.

Your roped him to the boat,
tied him on the stern for towing behind.
He couldn't be left to float;
he needed to come out trawling,
the dead man.

You took him with you to catch the tide.
For the living, for the food.

As the boat picked up speed
you couldn't help but watch the almost enthusiastic
movement of his legs as he rode the waves
the three long miles to Reculver.

Back in town, the pineapples you brought from The Azores
were lined up in shop windows for all to see
while you delivered your German airman,
a line of bullets across his back,
to the coastguard station.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY YEAR IN REVIEW (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 114)

 MY YEAR IN REVIEW   Listening Link This morning it is raining and the almost unchilled air carries strong hints of green.   Alt text says this week’s photo is a collage of a group of people. It is indeed a collage and it is made from the photos that accompanied each blog post this year. I do like to take a look back before I look forward and I thought this would be one way of doing it for 2025.   When I was little I loved an annual. To me it was a book of delightful snippets collected together to be enjoyed in a period of time that involved a break from routine. I can picture myself reading in my pyjamas, the seemingly bottomless sweet tin, and the advent calendar that left its glitter on our fingers with all its doors open telling me that it was indeed Christmas Day. This week’s photo is like the cover of my 2025 annual.   This blog has been my way of building a good relationship with Mondays, and the fact there have been 114 episodes since Sept...

LIFTED (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 108)

LIFTED Listening Link  This morning, the cool air brings the smell of hash browns as the traffic builds its familiar rush.   Alt text offers no suggestion for this week’s photo. I say it is my sister, me and my mum in the lift after coffee and before a little shopping spree. I love this moment in time from our lovely, shared day, and the fact I remembered to take a photo.   This week I learned that I am a competent pumpkin carver. Good company, a simple design idea, a whiteboard marker pen and a last-minute pumpkin purchase resulted in a Trick or Treat worthy exhibit which made me smile.   It has been like adopting a mini half-term this week... catching up with a good friend, time with family, carving that pumpkin, having a toffee apple, going to a big firework display, landing on the settee of lovely people and having a photograph taken... and perhaps there will always be echoes of school holidays even though I no longer have these as ...

SLOW DOWN (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 130)

SLOW DOWN PodBean Listening Link    This morning the air is filled with the scent of grass and the sound of birdsong. A blue sky is welcoming the day, and promising warmth soon.   Alt text tells me this week’s photo is a road with words painted on it. It is indeed and it is a photo of what I call the country road where the words SLOW/ARAF are painted. I walked to this area yesterday to take a photo for today’s blog, but the words were very faded so I am using a photo which I think I took during my lockdown walks. Slow is a timely reminder for me right now.   Having talked recently about how important it is to balance self-care and to notice what you need, it almost surprised me that I wasn’t listening to myself. (I say ‘almost’ because I definitely heard the whisper of, you need a couple of early nights ! And instead of acknowledging the whisper I chose to ignore it. So my thinking went a bit like this... Feeling a bit more tired than usual?...