Skip to main content

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 08/01/2024 (18)

Singing as the darkness lifts 08/01/2024

A heart-shaped crisp on a red background, 2013.

A different heart shaped crisp on a black background, 2023. 

 

Another heart-shaped crisp on brown card, 2023.
 

This morning the smell that rides on the air reminds me of my brother. There is a tinge of paraffin and I am transported back to the times when we were young and the temperature dropped, and to protect the cacti in his greenhouse paraffin was decanted into a lamp. I remember him crouched for the lighting and me finding delight in the shape of that lamp (like something from a fairy tale) and the way the wick was wound up slowly and with such care.

 

One of the highlights of last week was being featured on Annick’s blog and it felt especially good to be there at the beginning of a new year. I loved the questions that were posed and had fun answering them.  There are certain smells recounted there too so if you haven’t read it yet do have a read. Clicking the link will take you there, and if you have never heard Imtiaz Dharker read her poem, ‘I Swear' then I think you will be delighted to find a link to that in the interview too.

 

Early 2024 sees me continuing to develop my authentic coaching self. I am investing a lot of time and energy into my new path and sharing coaching sessions with people brings me joy. Shaking off myself before entering a coaching room and being fully present for another person for an hour and a half and then re-emerging gives me a tingly energy of purpose. At just over 10% of my pro bono hours completed I am now also looking forward to where this takes me this year and next. If you have ever considered coaching do make contact with me and register an interest for my special offer sessions which will run later in the year. There is no obligation if you just want to find out more.

 

My first blurb for the new book has been safely saved ready for the final touches of putting the book together, and I loved seeing it ping into my inbox. That back cover is coming together and it feels good to know that the book is already being read by poets I respect and admire.

 

I feel excited to find out where ‘Vortex over Wave’ ends up in the world this year, and loved receiving a photo for the #ElasticBandPhotos collection from Kathleen this week. Who would have thought a group of people would become linked by communication in discarded elastic band photos? This brings me joy and puts a sparkle into the day. 

 

Finding a heart-shaped crisp when preparing lunch to share with my lovely wife also brought me joy this week. I had just finished a coaching session and was enjoying making up the day’s sandwich filling of fig jam and pretend smoked cheese when I saw the crisp as I decanted the packet onto the side of my plate. After so many busy lunchtimes in dinner halls with children it is wonderful to be able to pause and share lunchtime with just one lovely person. I had a real fondness for my dinner duties during my time as a head teacher and took pride in being able to say that I had seen each child as they arrived at school and then again during their lunchtime. It always felt satisfying to sit to eat my meal once everyone else was served. My way of dismissing the children would be to nod in response to a raised hand when they were communicating that they had finished eating and it took me quite some weeks last Autumn to realise I was no longer responsible for lots of lunchtime nodding. The school cook from my last school was exceptional and I enjoyed her conversation and the way she kept me very well fed with vegan mains and puddings. 

 

And that heart-shaped crisp brings to mind the following statistics for my life... I have now seen three presenters of University Challenge in my lifetime, three Willy Wonkas on the big screen and have photographed three heart-shaped crisps.

My need for recognition surfaced when I ended my job last Summer and I have been working on this with my coach. Exploring how this impacted on my thoughts, feelings and behaviours was really helpful to me and meant that I was able to see this in a positive way. It also helped me reflect on my goals and what was and wasn’t important to me about this. There have been three recognition moments (there’s that number three again) that have been well worth celebrating recently. One of these was the time I spent re-reading the comments that came through at the end of the facilitated part of the ‘In Good Company’ coaching course because they showed that I was emerging as my authentic self as a coach. I also loved entering a zoom room and being greeted by name by a poet who I completely admire. And the fact that there is a poetry group where Ronnie is welcomed to readings and other poets bring along suitable companions!

 

Here’s to finding all the moments that make our hearts sing as the darkness lifts.

Podcast Link for those who like to listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo