Skip to main content

‘Wake Up Now’.

 Singing as the Darkness Lifts 04/03/2024 Episode 26 ‘Wake Up Now’.

Podbean Link for those who like to listen

ALT TEXT: A box full of toys. Or a box full of interesting things with most of the letters on top to spell ‘CELEBRATING’.

ALT TEXT: A picture in a frame. Or a photo of a discarded elastic band in the gutter which makes a heart shape with letters on top that spell all of the word LOVELY and show where the letter ’l’s get used up.

This morning there is a tight frost on the ground and I cannot sense what rides the air. I stand under a lavendered sky and something makes me sneeze, but still cannot get my senses to grasp anything other than slight bark.

Episode 26! Having only missed one blog writing week for Christmas Day I can clearly see how many weeks I have been on my new journey. (It still makes me laugh that Christmas Day was a Monday and although I knew I wasn’t going to put a blog into the world that day I actually forgot to smell the air!)

So, a new journey for over half a year. With the arrival of spring and the joy of having pro bono clients to work with this is a pretty good place to be on my path I reckon even if today the scent of the morning eludes me somewhat.

I have felt tired this week though and know I need to sort out my mindset about walking more to raise my energy levels. I do know I want to walk each day, I know I sort of don’t want to do it at exactly the same time, but I also know I need a better plan because I often end up not walking as much as I need to in order to feel refreshed. There’s that thing that sits in me about wanting to have achieved something by eight o’clock each morning. And I think that goes back to all those years of starting work at half seven and using the quiet time of the morning to get some jobs done before the more peopled part of the day began. Perhaps that’s why my hydration before eight feels important to me or my day starts better when there is a little job on my writing desk to attend to. I am not sure that fitting in my walk before eight each day will be the thing to do, but I do feel there will be a benefit to trialling this.

‘A good coach should be able to coach themselves,’ there’s that internal voice, and when I listen there’s another one chiming in with ‘Yes, remember how well it worked when you were procrastinating about painting all those fence panels!’ I will see what I can do with my walking goal this month.

Asking myself what I have done before that helps it is easy for me to recall my love of seeing the sunrise or the early morning sky rolling out the day, changing by the minute, on the drive to work. I was reminded of this too when the birds woke me on Sunday morning singing with their loud, joyful chorus. There’s a wonderful feeling to waking up naturally when my body and mind seem to have completed a sleep cycle. This is quite rare for me and I think I have also encouraged myself to have one too many snoozes lately.

I do however also have the perfect alarm clock which might just help. Not my first choice of wake up track by Mary Chapin Carpenter or my second or indeed the bird song on my light up clock, but this... My sister telling me it is morning. (I think the sound clip of this only works on the podcast version of this blog!)

I found myself celebrating the celebrations of people I share thinking time with a lot this last week or so. I love that I get to hear these joyful moments and I love the fact that there is a lot of brave and powerful work that goes on in a coaching room in order for these celebrations to shine.

I spent a pleasant chunk of time searching through old journals the other day because I wanted to find the origin of ‘Unwanted Rabbits’. I had received an email to say the poem will be published by The Broken Spine this month and after I did my little happy poet dance I began wondering about the drafting of this poem. No sign of it in my past three journals, but my computer tells me the first computer draft was written on a Sunday, a couple of days after writing on a Wendy Pratt course. I know it was not related to that, but I recognise that feeling of the creative energy continuing when I have been in good workshops. I also found out that I wrote my fondant fancy poem on the same day. I can clearly remember how that came about because it was part of an advert which caught my eye. As I write this I love the fact that I can remember seeing a headline and that I can also almost feel the silk inside a magician’s hat when I think about the rabbit poem. I don’t think I have ever actually touched a magician’s hat, but it is there at the end of my fingers.

I can remember telling Damien there would be more rabbit poems when I was interviewed by him for Eat the Storms. This one is likely to raise a smile rather than the one in my forthcoming collection which is a bit more visceral!

I will leave you now with fondant fancies...

 

This is the Last Day for Cherry Fondant Fancies

 

and I don’t know if it is the final day this season

or the very last day ever.

 

I have never eaten one,

but know that the chocolate,

lemon and strawberry ones

from my childhood

came in neat half-dozens.

 

They looked like the kind of cakes

that Alice would love in her Wonderland.

But no matter how many times I tried them

I could never love them.

Too sweet, too sickly

on too many Sundays

 

And yet if there were cherry fondants tomorrow

maybe I would take a box just to test

how my tastes are these days.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo