Skip to main content

The Night I Turned into a Metal Spoon

Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 29: The Night I Turned into a Metal Spoon

 Podbean Link for those who like to listen

This morning the air smells clean and fresh, it is raining and there is no hint of petrichor. I smile because although I am not totally specific about the smell my senses are alive.

 

Last week I could not determine the scent and I blamed the cold virus for affecting my sense of smell. I also now blame it for turning me into a metal spoon during the week. It was an interesting dream and wonderfully vivid... temporarily I was a human-sized spoon heading for the centre of the earth. Sometimes when I wake up after a dream the images disappear quite rapidly, but I can definitely still picture this one! Perhaps the way my head concaved into the bowl of the spoon might make its way into a poem. It might be a good prose poem!

 

So the week started at a slow pace because I had to wait for the sneezing to stop and then unsnuffle myself. I loved it when my sister rang and asked me if I was resting and staying hydrated because that’s what I always tell her to do when she is under the weather. It was lovely to hear my advice in a different voice and I did indeed follow it. If you listened to last week’s blog you probably noticed I was a bit snuffly, but I decided I still wanted to set it down because I wanted to remain committed to what I had planned to do with the blog and podcast. It feels important to me right now to be a completer!

 

I enjoyed regaining my sense of taste and smell and it reminded me of the strange things that happened to my senses after I had covid. I felt really unwell when I had it, but was rather entertained when I felt better and noticed that pints of water tasted like double cream, parsnips no longer tasted nice, and sometimes when I stood up I felt as though I had drunk half a bottle of champagne. Sometimes even now water tastes creamy and I wonder why this is.

 

For Eat the Storms this week Damien Donnelly shared work from The Whiskey Tree’s Untamed Nature collection. I loved listening in because I had not been able to make the zoom launch and I always enjoy listening to how the poems sound in the authentic voices of their writers. The interview with Alan Parry was good too. I love hearing about people’s journeys into writing and finding out what resonates with them.

 

I also got to hear Susan Richardson read my poem ‘Silence’ on the A Thousand Shades of Green poetry podcast finale for Season 2 on Friday. This podcast is the perfect length to accompany a tea break or in my case on Friday a water break. I like to make sure I am hydrated and was reminded of why water should be my choice when I got the judders from taking decongestants with caffeine in them this week. The caffeine is handy when you need a boost, but it still has potential to make me think too fast and sort of vibrate. It reminds me of the time I got myself a long lasting stutter on the letter t in an assembly one morning after too much strong coffee. Almost as impressive as the time I was asked in the Post Office what I was posting and I stumbled on, “It’s a, it’s a, it’s a” before being able to complete my sentence. Hearing Silence read was powerful for me as I think I mentioned last week that my relationship with silence has altered in the past six months. I am grateful to One Hand Clapping for giving the poem its original home, Susan for voicing it so I could listen and to Black Eyes for including it in my forthcoming collection.

 

Alt text describes this week’s photo as, “A shadow of two people on a road”. I don’t have anything to add except there is a marking on the ground that could be seen as a seam or a zip between the two people. I do love a shadow photo!

 

I leave you today with a poem about moles that almost wanted a home in my second collection, but just deserves a little outing all of its own...

 

LEARNING ABOUT MOLES

 

After thumbs had numbed

and tongues cooled

on hot days between school and bus

we ended our eating of ice pops

in different ways.

 

She curled the plastic over and over

and sucked,

drawing the last of the liquid up

towards the opening

scissored by the sweetshop man.

Perhaps like her mother

turning the toothpaste tube tighter and tighter.

 

I preferred head back,

eyes closed against the sky,

a peristaltic squeeze

until the sweet trickle

became just a few more drops.

 

Now I learn that moles squeeze the mud

from earthworms before they eat them.

But do they suck them up from tunnel floors

or blind-eyed catch them dangling?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo