Skip to main content

Two Golden Tickets (Episode 42)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 42

Two Golden Tickets

PodBean Link for those who like to listen

This morning the scent is not as I predicted. It is rose petals and rosemary. I thought it would be conifer hedge because yesterday there were adventures with a new power tool. The overgrown hedge was tidied up and I went deep into the corner were the big bushes grow. Our garden waste bins are now brimming with the kind of garden debris I imagined adventurers would have lined their hand-built dens with before settling in the for the night.

 

I laughed when Kath came in for a shower after round one of hedge tackle and left a trail of bits of green and herb while I went back for round two. Later I found that those bits can get in places I couldn’t have imagined and I was heard to say that overalls for future jobs might be quite the thing.

 

Alt text says this is a group of people posing for a photo. I say it is Me and Dolly and Kath posing for a photo. In fact there is a lot I could say about this photo which is ten years old now because it means so much.

 

Here are ten things:

 

1.    I won the opportunity to meet Dolly.

2.    I felt like Willy Wonka getting the Golden Ticket.

3.    My Nan always said it’s better to be born lucky than rich.

4.    I wouldn’t have chosen to wear that top if I had known I was going to meet Dolly.

5.    Wearing that top didn’t affect the magical moment.

6.    I got to be in the presence of one of my absolute heroes.

7.    This was the second time I had won a meet and greet with Dolly.

8.    This time I was able to share the moment with Kath.

9.    I have loved Dolly Parton and her music since I was a child.

10. Dolly Parton’s dreams to goals story is inspirational to me.

 

This past week I have been doing things I dreamed of last September. I have been working 1:1 with people. We have talked, thought deeply, thought long and wide, reflected, laughed and thought some more. This felt distant back then and that makes me chuckle because back then feels distant now. That link between dreams and goals is being seized and I am so grateful to the people that are part of my journey. It’s like my own yellow brick road and that reminds me of some very special people who got me to this path in the first place.

 

In memory of one of those special people I took an old flatbread I had saved specifically for the occasion out into the garden. It was the night of the full moon. That flat bread was going to be the moon. All because that wonderful person once sent me a photo from social media of a tortilla on a double-glazed window and said, ‘Look here’s your full moon’. We had much fun tossing it in the air trying to get the ‘perfect’ photo. That didn’t happen this time, but if you ever see me throwing circular bread in the air around the time of the full moon then you will know why.

 

I will leave you today with a link to Susan Richardson’s podcast, 'A Thousand Shades of Green’ where she reads poems from my collection ‘Welcome to the Museum of a Life’. Three reasons:

 

1.    I am glad that our paths have crossed.

2.    Her readings are wonderful.

3.    If you like podcasts and poems you will find much to love in all the episodes she has put together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (Episode 11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023 PETRICHOR   Me and my brother on a farm holiday when we were little and me and my brother at Bletchley Park more recently.   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting

'Sisters at the Snooker' (Episode 24)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo

Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? (Episode 39)

  Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 39 Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? PodBean Link for those who like to listen   This morning the smell of cut grass is in the air, slightly hayed by yesterday’s sunshine and today’s gentle misty drizzle.   This week’s photo had to be ‘Ronnie Jumping for Joy at The Great Orme’. Not just because I love that orme, not just because it is the picture for June on the #LookThere calendar, but because of the alt text suggestion I got when I was preparing to share it on social media to welcome in the new month. This alt text has to be one of my absolute favourites... “May be an image of puffin and vulture.” It made me laugh each time I thought of it and wondered which one of those Ronnie was! In this Word document alt text says it’s a stuffed animal in the air, which makes me love the alternative version that appeared the other day even more.   I love to find humour in things. I find it motivational and