Skip to main content

CATERPILLAR OR SHOELACE (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 152)

CATERPILLAR OR SHOELACE


    

This morning the air brings a rather disconcerting scent of fish, a pale blue and pink sunrise shades the sky and a bird I cannot name sounds in the distance.

 

Alt text says this week’s photo is a close up of a caterpillar. I say it is two photos side by side, one showing a close up of a caterpillar, and one showing a close up of a section of discarded shoelace which resembles a caterpillar. No elephant hawk moth caterpillars have been observed this year in my garden, and I am rather hoping they have been quietly going about their business in the fuchsia bush without me noticing them. I don’t want to think that there haven’t been any. My camera reel shows me that late September is about the latest that I have seen them so I guess for this year I shall resign myself to the fact there will be no new sightings. The shoelace photo still makes me chuckle, and I think in the year I took it I began expecting to see the caterpillars every time I went out for a walk because the one in the front garden was visible most days making slow progress in the fuchsia as well as exploring the lawn nearby. The bush is now super huge, as if it wants to take over the whole corner of the garden, so perhaps it serves as the ultimate hiding place for all manner of creatures.

 

I recently found my first conker of the season during a stroll in someone else’s town, and I brought it home to place by the front door. Perhaps it is true that the scent that they emit whilst drying is a deterrent for large spiders, perhaps I have just set myself a reassuring ritual for each autumn. Feeling its smoothness reminded me that I had written a poem about a conker so I was eager to rummage through my poetry files to find it and see if I thought it was any good on a reread. I do rather like it, and it was fun to receive some positive feedback about it when I shared it on social media and then in a writing workshop. And my thanks to a person from Australia in the workshop who asked me what a conker was, and therefore reminded me that my thought about taking one with me would have been a good idea after all. Sometimes I overthink things and talk myself out of them whilst wondering if people will think I am silly or childish for taking a conker or my special glass marble to a poetry workshop. And actually those are the things that run through the core of me and make me me... I will take this as the perfect reminder to pop such things in my workshop bag in the future.

 

Good friends are a wonderful reminder of what’s in the core of you. People who really see you and know you, and I felt my soul become as shiny as that conker during the week when I went for minty tea with a lovely friend. Mix that in with shenanigans in a zoom room and a night out at the theatre to see Susan Calman and my soul felt super zingy.

 

There’s a romantic nostalgia that has been rising in me these last few weeks and music and sunset drives, as well as all those good conversations and laughter have been asking me to notice the change of season, and how I am standing in it. As a gentle nod to this I have decorated the fireplace with autumnal things. I am motivated to dust things properly when there is going to be a new arrangement, and I have loved seeing the simple display of ‘things’ that signifies I am observing the tilt of the earth. I have even been heard to say that I am going to make the mantelpiece seasonal every month.

 

Here's to friends, to candles that can be lit in the darker evenings, and to remembering that licking conkers is not a good idea.

Conker

You slip out smooth;

your emergence perfect gloss.

 

You are Autumn

seemingly solid as wood.

 

I pocket you,

roll you between finger and thumb.

Palm you

as my lucky charm.

 

Yet there is a hint of death in you.

And a tree.

 

I am holding you still as I walk.

Daring myself to lick my fingers

for the taste of you.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY YEAR IN REVIEW (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 114)

 MY YEAR IN REVIEW   Listening Link This morning it is raining and the almost unchilled air carries strong hints of green.   Alt text says this week’s photo is a collage of a group of people. It is indeed a collage and it is made from the photos that accompanied each blog post this year. I do like to take a look back before I look forward and I thought this would be one way of doing it for 2025.   When I was little I loved an annual. To me it was a book of delightful snippets collected together to be enjoyed in a period of time that involved a break from routine. I can picture myself reading in my pyjamas, the seemingly bottomless sweet tin, and the advent calendar that left its glitter on our fingers with all its doors open telling me that it was indeed Christmas Day. This week’s photo is like the cover of my 2025 annual.   This blog has been my way of building a good relationship with Mondays, and the fact there have been 114 episodes since Sept...

LIFTED (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 108)

LIFTED Listening Link  This morning, the cool air brings the smell of hash browns as the traffic builds its familiar rush.   Alt text offers no suggestion for this week’s photo. I say it is my sister, me and my mum in the lift after coffee and before a little shopping spree. I love this moment in time from our lovely, shared day, and the fact I remembered to take a photo.   This week I learned that I am a competent pumpkin carver. Good company, a simple design idea, a whiteboard marker pen and a last-minute pumpkin purchase resulted in a Trick or Treat worthy exhibit which made me smile.   It has been like adopting a mini half-term this week... catching up with a good friend, time with family, carving that pumpkin, having a toffee apple, going to a big firework display, landing on the settee of lovely people and having a photograph taken... and perhaps there will always be echoes of school holidays even though I no longer have these as ...

SLOW DOWN (#SingingAsTheDarknessLifts 130)

SLOW DOWN PodBean Listening Link    This morning the air is filled with the scent of grass and the sound of birdsong. A blue sky is welcoming the day, and promising warmth soon.   Alt text tells me this week’s photo is a road with words painted on it. It is indeed and it is a photo of what I call the country road where the words SLOW/ARAF are painted. I walked to this area yesterday to take a photo for today’s blog, but the words were very faded so I am using a photo which I think I took during my lockdown walks. Slow is a timely reminder for me right now.   Having talked recently about how important it is to balance self-care and to notice what you need, it almost surprised me that I wasn’t listening to myself. (I say ‘almost’ because I definitely heard the whisper of, you need a couple of early nights ! And instead of acknowledging the whisper I chose to ignore it. So my thinking went a bit like this... Feeling a bit more tired than usual?...