Skip to main content

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 02/10/2023 (5)

Singing as the darkness lifts 02/10/2023

The sky held gentle cloud around a waning moon this morning. The light of a planet or star shone underneath and the air had an element of oak riding on it. There were small birds singing from the full 360 degrees before the jackdaw sounded.

The week included necessary appointments for flu jab and eye test – new reading glasses soon. There was soup made and shared with a friend and that gentle conversation that comes with being known. At the third myth poetry workshop with Anna Saunders the group shared a poem each and I was able to air ‘There’s a Doll Thumping in My Chest’. I am thinking that this will be my opener for my forthcoming reading at Gloucester and this poem will always have a special place in my heart because of its very origin. Matthew and Rhona and my diction and laughter ignited that spark. I don’t think I will give it out to people on National Poetry Day on Thursday though, that might call for a less dark poem.

My progress towards my coaching qualification continued this week and the first triad session was held. It was a very good day and I love the feeling of being a good coach. I will put a call out soon for pro bono clients so if it’s something you feel you might like to engage with then do let me know. I offer time and space to think, breathe and be in order to set future goals.

My new relationship with Mondays means that going away at the weekend is more comfortable for me at last. This weekend there was a trip to Leek for exploring, feasting and laughter with friends. This also included the unexpected sharing of a family room when a booking error was made which made us chuckle and gave us a new experience.

It was wonderful to read that my poem, ‘I Hate You’, was nominated for #BOTN (Best of the Net) at the weekend. I had just recorded it as my new poem of the month for YouTube as it is one of my favourites and it felt good to celebrate its publication in September by The Broken Spine. And there I was in a pub in Leek with a much needed soda and lime scrolling Twitter when I saw the news of the nomination. That made my heart sing. So many good nominations for Pushcart and BOTN and I am delighted to be among them again this year.

Here's to friends and all those moments that help us hear the singing as the darkness lifts.

'Family Room, Leek' #ElasticBandPhotos 


Here’s 'I Hate You' lifted from The Broken Spine website. Hugest thanks to Alan Parry for the nomination and the original publication.

If you want to listen to it read out loud (and I did receive a couple of nice comments about the reading over the weekend) then here’s the link:

'I Hate You' YouTube Link

Sue Finch’s first collection, ‘Magnifying Glass’, was published in 2020. Her work has also appeared in a number of online magazines. She loves the coast, peculiar things and the scent of ice-cream freezers.

I Hate You

said the cow.
Yeah, she hates you, whispered the grass,
hates you,
hates you, it swished on and on.

So I climbed the gate.
Get off, you’re too heavy, said the gate.
Yeah, get off, you’re gonna break us
said the padlock on the chain.

I stepped over a large muddy puddle,
marvelled at a greeny-brown cow pat.
Imagine creating that!
Then I remembered that the cow 
hated me
and I ditched my admiration.

Stop looking at me 
and notice how quiet it is, stupid,
said the cowpat.

I lifted my head to the clouds,
caught the eye of a bird I couldn’t name,
saw its beak begin to open.

I wondered if the silence would shatter 
like a pint glass, all splinters and nibs, 
or just split quietly down the middle
like surface ice on a pond.

There’s only one of you.
The unknown bird was staring at me.
I waited for it to cock its head.
It remained still;
a totem carved in the tree.

You want me to repeat that 
don’t you?
mocked a heron
standing on the path,
You think I have ancient grey wisdom
and the key to solitude.

I did.
And I wanted to carry on,
but as his wings opened like a prayer
and he lifted his legs to fly
I froze.

 Click here to acess the podcast version of this blog.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo