Skip to main content

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 30/10/2023 (9)

Singing as the darkness lifts 30/10/2023

This morning the air smells of leaves again, and I am wondering what the moon would smell of. The moon wears a thin circular blanket of cloud before revealing its subtle waning in a blue sky.

There has been much tea drinking, feasting, conversation and laughter in the past couple of weeks. Time taken to step into the world and connect with friends. There has been magic in the moments with the tea pot with the googly eyes, the cups with no saucers and the afternoon tea enjoyed while we listened to a trio play.

I loved that afternoon tea because it was a gift to Kath from a very good friend of hers and they included me in the magic too; it was like being transported into another world where we were wrapped in music.

When I recounted to my brother the things I have done since starting this blog and my new relationship with Mondays, we decided that my stating I had done things it would have taken me a decade to do was an exaggeration, but that it might well have taken me a couple of years.

I take real joy in seeing my poems in the world and this week I have read ‘You Are Glorious’ at a live launch and on a podcast thanks to Damien B Donnelly and The Storms Journal/Eat the Storms. I have also seen ‘A Pelican is Dancing on the Patio’ gain publication with Ink, Sweat and Tears. Both these poems are special to me. The former because it is a love poem (as long as you don’t get too wrapped up on wives in snowglobes being a bit like wives in jars) and the latter because writing it was such fun. Writing this has just made me go back to the journal to find the drafting process for A Pelican on the Patio and I have photographed it to include at the end of this blog as it is quite profound!

Kath has laughed at my wildcard poem entry for The National Poetry Competition which closes on 31st October which made me laugh too because I might be the only person who really, really likes that particular poem. I will find it a home after this outing if it does not win so you can decide!

My relationship with essays has continued this week and I temporarily forgot how overwhelmed I feel when I work on too many things at once, which made the relationship not quite as satisfying as my 'splurge and write and keep going' phase! My mind was on three larger sized things at the time I was adding some detail into my essay and I could feel my thoughts filling my brain and making me slow and frustrated. I did stop, but definitely could have stopped sooner! My strategy to combat this going forward is to give myself clear timescales for things because this works for me and counteracts my overwhelm which wears a cloak of ‘you’re running out of time and you are not good enough to get this done’ and chases me with it.

It's good to have solutions to the potential overwhelm and it is good to laugh while you find them.

Now for the poems if you haven’t already seen them. If you like being read to then do pop over to my YouTube channel and I will read ‘You Are Glorious’ to you.

 

Image description:

Image of a dirt road into a dark wood with part of a mirror ball upper righthand corner and the faint line drawing of a pelican bottom left.

 

 A PELICAN IS DANCING ON THE PATIO

 

And there is a disco

very deep in the woods.

 

The pelican is tapping out its rhythm

and no one can quite name the tune

even though it is right there

on the tip of tongues.

 

And the people that know about the disco

very deep in the woods

are glad they are not there

under the lights and rotor blades.

 

The pelican is making quite some draught now

its wings high and flapping.

It is turning in circles

ecstatic in its dance.

 

And the people that know about the disco

very deep in the woods are checking

on their loved ones

and they are desperately trying to name

what that bird is dancing to.

 



Here’s to the continued singing as the darkness lifts.

Click here to acess the podcast version of this blog. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo