Skip to main content

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 05/02/2024 (22)

 Singing as the Darkness Lifts 05/02/2024 Episode 22

Podcast Link for those who like to listen


This morning the wind has scattered the scent of Monday – outside I get a brief, gentle reminder of herbed grass and inside there is the contrast of spiced warmth. The moon is a low-slung crescent, big and bold owning its space, as the morning glows into being and the sky exhibits its blue.

 

Last week was full of conversations, jam-packed with words, beautifully sprinkled with laughter. I had a number of coaching sessions, a poetry interview, an evening out dining with a wonderful friend and the wonderful experience of listening to my poetry read out loud. I even got to see how the cover of my new poetry collection is shaping up. I realised that it wasn’t quite true when I told Kath that I wasn’t tired after our yarn show experience and found my body telling me to rest and rehydrate. I listened and have even been treating my feet and chest to that lovely trick of putting vapour rub on my soles and wearing warm bedsocks all night.

 

I got goosebumps listening to Susan Richardson read a selection of my poetry on her podcast ‘A Thousand Shades of Green’. It was a wonderful feeling to be asked and then to have the anticipation of waiting to find out which poems had been chosen. I took a lunch break on Friday with Kath and made sure it was long enough to listen in without feeling rushed and it felt good. I also messaged the wonderful friend who I dined with this week and got a “WOW, WOW, WOW” response in a message after she had listened. We hadn’t seen each other for some time and I think I am right in saying we talked for over three hours whilst we dined on vegan burger and chips in a lovely little pub which happens to be about halfway between each of our houses.

 

The next anthology from Sidhe Press is shaping up well and I have so enjoyed playing a role in the editing process for this. I have now been able to read it from cover to cover and it is a strong collection with powerful words and themes. So good to see the process from submissions to end product. Huge admiration for editors of small presses because there is a LOT that goes into the process.

 

I was editing some of my own work the other morning and had chosen to sit in the armchair instead of at my desk. Before this I had been lazy in bed playing Wordle, checking emails and scrolling a range of reels. There was the highly amusing one of a woman climbing through an open window in her house having locked her keys in who has a dress malfunction, and then one of a cat staring at a neighbour whilst both look out of high windows from different apartments. The cat looked very thoughtful! When I felt observed while working, I looked up in curiosity. There on the windowsill was a ginger cat staring at me. At first I thought it was on the inside because the outside sill is very narrow and it didn’t seem possible for it to be sitting in such a relaxed posed. The Instagram reel had said the cat was seeing into the neighbour’s soul and I wondered what this cat was seeing and thinking as it watched me typing and thinking.

 

Thoughts can be quite entertaining and mine are sometimes like rollercoasters inside my head. I definitely felt the exhilaration of that kind of ride after the poetry interview that was recorded last week! I can remember hearing myself laughing at some of the content and also being surprised at the memories that came forward during this. I reckon there will be feelings of anticipation when I tune in to listen. I will plan cake and hot chocolate!

 

So I have rediscovered the poet/coach version of me since the other me that wore their market money bag and enjoyed the company of vendors at a yarn show returned home. There are lessons for me in here about being in the moment, remembering my need to do ‘Sue things’ even when it’s busy, that I do not need to be fixed (that’s an interesting word as it now resonates for its mending meaning as well as its stationary meaning!) and that there is much to celebrate about what it is that is rebuilding my confidence. The habits and routines I am building and my determination to remember that this is my “one wild and precious life” when things feel tough are serving me well. Oh, and that reminds me that ‘Nyad’ is a good film and that I wouldn’t have watched it if I hadn’t had a recommendation from a lovely friend. The Mary Oliver quote is in there, and there was also a programme on Radio 4 about her recently which again I would have missed without the heads up from a lovely friend.

 

This week’s photo is: ‘Two pastries on a heart shaped plate’ according to Alt Text.  And to me is: “Two shop bought buns on a red heart-shaped plate decorated with sweets by Sue and Kath in celebration of Season 8, Episode 1 of the poetry podcast ‘Eat the Storms’. Here’s the sweet treat celebration if you like such things and I think I see that this kind of bun has featured more than twice!

 

Here's to good friends, the joy of words, laughter, and to singing as the darkness lifts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting things and noticing patterns in the possibly unpatterned has always been part of my wonder of the world and my way of holdin

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 16/10/2023 (7)

Singing as the darkness lifts 16/10/2023   This morning I cannot determine what the outside world smells of. The air is cold and the stars that are still in the sky are blurred by clouds. When I step back inside the house it seems to smell of toast even though there has been no toast this morning.   So much has happened since the last time I blogged. I completed the second part of my coaching course with ‘In Good Company’ which took me to the halfway mark for the taught element. This felt like a real milestone to me and there was a wonderful feeling of pride when I could see how far I had come and how much I was learning.   I have learned a lot about myself since starting this blog in September and I have much to thank the course for when it comes to this. One of my key thinkings is that if I am going to be a great coach, then I should be able to coach myself when I am stuck. By working through the thoughts and feelings and the gap between my goal and my present state I ha

'Sisters at the Snooker'

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo