Skip to main content

BEING SOCIABLE AGAIN (Episode 49)

BEING SOCIABLE AGAIN (49)

PodBean Link for those who like to listen


This morning the air smells fuschia pink underlined with gently fermenting darkening green grass.

 

Alt text says this week’s photo is a collage of 2 people. I say it is a montage of four photos of three siblings ensuring they get a couple of sensible photos at the wedding of one of my nephews. I also say it delights me to have had the moments in these photos. It was good to be out in the world being sociable to celebrate the joy of young love with all the guests at a special wedding.

 

I love weddings, particularly the speeches and the way the words people choose make me tingle at the very humanness of being. My brother, Mark, gave a wonderful address at the end of the ceremony and my sister and I marvelled at his capable public speaking and the way he made us laugh as well as think and celebrate the couple.

 

When talking about their honeymoon, the bride and groom mentioned that the place they were travelling to had a hot tub and they were planning to relax there while watching the perseid meteor shower. This struck me as a wonderful way to watch the spectacle. It also reminded me how different things are this year compared to 2020 when I wrote my perseid poem ‘Invitation’. We were in lockdown then and being sociable was very limited indeed. One night back then I dreamt that I was invited to see the perseids in the armpit of a lover, and there they were in great detail and great number. It was a superb dream for the content and for my wondering about how the world had changed.

 

This year’s meteor shower peaks on August twelfth and the forecast mentions storms so I went to sit under a fairly cloudless sky for half an hour before bed last night. Four bright shooting stars made themselves known not far from 'The Plough'.

 

Thinking back to the poem ‘Invitation’ I can remember a particular reading of it at an open mic where I felt incredibly nervous. My perception was that my nervous energy had spoiled my reading totally, and I remember that the next day I messaged the person who had invited me to apologise. They messaged back to say that they thought one day I would actually enjoy sharing my work and this reminded me that I could improve.

 

I have of course gained experience since then and am part of some lovely poetry communities, but it continued to be a focus for me because I am determined to share my poems well. I began to learn that slowing my reading down helped with my breathing and allowed me to be more centred, and of course the more I did it the more I improved.

 

Videoing myself, as suggested by a coach I work with, has been hugely beneficial, and I used this to good effect prior to a recent in-person reading. It allowed me to see that although I had work to do I was actually giving myself a hard time which was not purely based on fact. That pesky overthinking!

 

This past week I was very keen to watch back my performance from my headline set at Crafty Crows. Partly so I could focus in on how to be even better and partly because I had felt the dry mouth of nerves as I read and wondered if this had spoiled the reading for the audience. In fact I woke in the night afterwards convinced they would only remember my nerves. I love the Crafty Crows poetry space and have wanted to read a set there for a long time so it was especially important to me. This is a community I really love being part of. Reader/Listener, my performance was acceptable. I can see how to ground myself better next time at the start so I can drink fewer sips of water during the reading, but my diction was clear and my pace appropriate. I delivered the set from beginning to end with relevant intros and the poems followed on from one another well. A goal has been met... I CAN share my work and I AM able to enjoy doing so. How cool is that?

 

I quite like the original reading of ‘Invitation’ so here’s the link. It is a moment in time of its very own, but I will also share it here:

 

Invitation

 

She says I will be able to see

Perseids tonight in her armpits,

just as I am worrying

that I cannot read binary.

 

I assure myself I can Google it later

hoping that the instructions

will be simple.

I plan to have a notebook

and pen ready.

I know that joke about

there being 10 kinds of people in the world:

those who understand binary

and those who don’t.

I tell her it would be great

to see the meteors up close,

nuzzled right in.

They don’t make your neck ache

this way, she says,

and you will be able to hear

the crackles of ancient fires

it is all deep in there.

 

I wonder if we will ever be

sociable again after this.

How many people in the world

are hankering to see

night skies in the armpits of lovers?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (Episode 11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023 PETRICHOR   Me and my brother on a farm holiday when we were little and me and my brother at Bletchley Park more recently.   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting

'Sisters at the Snooker' (Episode 24)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo

Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? (Episode 39)

  Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 39 Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? PodBean Link for those who like to listen   This morning the smell of cut grass is in the air, slightly hayed by yesterday’s sunshine and today’s gentle misty drizzle.   This week’s photo had to be ‘Ronnie Jumping for Joy at The Great Orme’. Not just because I love that orme, not just because it is the picture for June on the #LookThere calendar, but because of the alt text suggestion I got when I was preparing to share it on social media to welcome in the new month. This alt text has to be one of my absolute favourites... “May be an image of puffin and vulture.” It made me laugh each time I thought of it and wondered which one of those Ronnie was! In this Word document alt text says it’s a stuffed animal in the air, which makes me love the alternative version that appeared the other day even more.   I love to find humour in things. I find it motivational and