Skip to main content

DO VENTRILOQUISTS TALK TO THEIR DENTISTS DURING TREATMENT? (Episode 50)

DO VENTRILOQUISTS TALK TO THEIR DENTISTS DURING TREATMENT? (50)

 PodBean Link for those who like to listen


Today the air is lightly herbed with rosemary. It is fresh and cool and temporarily free from fumes. An orange cat is adventuring with purpose as a herring gull laughs and I remember looking for a red tinged moon last night in a clouded sky.

 

Alt Text makes me smile with this week’s suggestion of ‘A person standing in front of a wall of art’ for the photo of me at Qube Gallery in Oswestry where my #ElasticBandPhotos are being exhibited. I’ll take that as accurate.

 

On Saturday I made my third trip to the Pop-Up Wool Show in Port Sunlight. It was ace for many reasons including:

·      Knowing which bits of set-up I am good at and just getting on with these.

·      My enjoyment of talking to new people.

·      The fact I was not responsible for an alarm system.

 

Last year I sat down next to someone for a tea break and shared with them my tale of how the school alarm system always needed attention at the time of this particular yarn show. (In 2022 it went off in the middle of the night so we only got a couple of hours sleep the night before the show. In 2023 the alarm panel needed a reset code so I travelled to set-up and then detoured to attend to it.) They then shared with me their tale of the day they had to deal with a gas explosion in their place of work (no injuries, but highly dramatic) and I realised that so many jobs carry that kind of responsibility and my experience in comparison was small. It’s good to talk, and to put things into perspective.

 

I had plenty of proof of things that could set off alarms that weren’t fire or intruders... a rapidly boiling kettle with a failed off switch, a person wanting to exit the building who pressed the wrong button, a spider in the sensor, a thunderstorm, an unclosed window, part of a display falling down. But my childhood experience was more 50:50...

 

My first experience of an actual fire alarm came when I had just started school. I remember crying as I walked in line as instructed and we made our way out onto the playground. I felt a grown-up’s hand take hold of mine and ask me what was wrong and I recall telling her “My new lunchbox is inside”. It was in a brand new Paddington Bear bag and I was feeling sad that it would be gone in the fire on its very first outing. I didn’t understand that this was a drill. My first experience of an actual fire came way before this when I was a baby. My brother was experimenting with matches and set fire to the curtains in the lounge much to my mum’s dismay. At least when he was older he made fires with a magnifying glass outside the house.

 

I was thinking again about the need to quieten an overthinking brain during my under-the-gum clean. Lying there I recognised a change in how I felt about the time it took for this procedure.  It used to be a much needed twenty-five minute relaxation in a busy world and now I was viewing it as being simply a thing that needed to be done. And this time there was a picture of purple flowers on the ceiling for me to gaze at. Before those flowers I was never really sure what to look at during the treatment and I can remember one time staring into one of the ceiling lights for the whole process and then not being able to see properly when I needed to leave the room and go and pay. I only did that once!

 

This poem from 2019 captures an overthinking brain at the dentist:

 

Do Ventriloquists Talk to Their Dentists During Treatment?

 

Do they speak about their teeth?

Joke about the way their tongue tracks

the polishing brush?

 

Do they make small talk –

a statement on the weather,

where they’re going on holiday?

 

Do they mention that the song playing

on the radio is taking them right back?

Share that whole story?

 

Do they say they have heard

that ingesting plaque debris

causes heart attacks?

Pause for a moment,

then ask if it is true?

 

Do they disclose what it’s like

to feel too visible?

Wish they had kept silent?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 13/11/2023 (Episode 11)

  Singing as the darkness lifts 13/11/2023 PETRICHOR   Me and my brother on a farm holiday when we were little and me and my brother at Bletchley Park more recently.   I am a poet who does not like the smell of petrichor. Last night it rained enough to make puddles on the path, so the smell is not in the air. This pleases me. Instead there is a refreshing, just there, note of herb and I learn that fruit flies too are sensitive to that smell of rain on dry ground.   When I was at school one of the projects involved counting fruit flies. I do not remember the exact logistics, but think it had something to do with tabling the numbers with different markings on their rears. My turn one lunch time resulted in me wracking my brains for the knowledge I needed when I dropped the lid of the fruit fly housing and some of the numbers headed for the freedom of the laboratory ceiling. I didn’t let my group down, but I do think a fruit fly flew up my nose during the process.   Counting

'Sisters at the Snooker' (Episode 24)

Singing as the Darkness Lifts 19/02/2024 Episode 24 Podbean Link for those who like to listen This morning the air seems to smell of egg nog. Inquisitive, I sniff again. Later, I realise the scent is lifted from my body and is from my shower gel. I wonder how many scents are mingling around me. Alt Text for today’s photo tells us this is: “Two women taking a selfie”, but as me and my sister like to see it this is... “Sisters settling in for the semi-finals at the 2024 Welsh Open”. This was my first time at the snooker and I remember learning most of what I know about it from watching it at my granddad’s house when I was young. It was in black and white in those days and frequently viewed without sound, but I remember the joy of a 147 break and the peaceful way my grandad watched it. When we were walking to the venue, I said to Katie, “I’m really looking forward to seeing a 147.” And she replied, “That’s not gonna happen sis. It’s very, very rare. Although it wo

Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? (Episode 39)

  Singing as the Darkness Lifts, Episode 39 Is He Puffin or Is He Vulture? PodBean Link for those who like to listen   This morning the smell of cut grass is in the air, slightly hayed by yesterday’s sunshine and today’s gentle misty drizzle.   This week’s photo had to be ‘Ronnie Jumping for Joy at The Great Orme’. Not just because I love that orme, not just because it is the picture for June on the #LookThere calendar, but because of the alt text suggestion I got when I was preparing to share it on social media to welcome in the new month. This alt text has to be one of my absolute favourites... “May be an image of puffin and vulture.” It made me laugh each time I thought of it and wondered which one of those Ronnie was! In this Word document alt text says it’s a stuffed animal in the air, which makes me love the alternative version that appeared the other day even more.   I love to find humour in things. I find it motivational and